Joseph M. Perez, Updated June 2014
1978 to Present:
Principal, Joseph M. Perez and Associates, Project Management, Communications Engineering and Consulting Services
- Most recent activities include Project Management for the deployment of a multi-modal Intelligent Transportation System for the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District. The project scope included managing the deployment of a $23 M grant funded, 700MHz P-25 voice, mobile data, broadband mesh, Computer Aided Dispatch and Automatic Vehicle Location, five-county regional wireless network
- Design and implementation of numerous in-building Public Safety and cellular radio signal-repeating, “Distributed Antenna Systems”, including multi-building installations and turn-key project management for a variety of clients, both private and public sector. In addition to providing prime services, this work has also included performing as a subcontractor to design/build and or certify DAS installations
- Consultant to numerous cities within San Francisco North Bay, including Santa Rosa, Sebastopol and Cotati’s Planning and Community Development Departments and City Councils for the purpose of development of Telecommunications Ordinances.
- Provide technical field evaluations and expert witness testimony in broadcasting and cable related legal matters.
- Perform wireless systems needs analysis and strategic planning for Santa Rosa Community College District and Public Safety Departments, as well as the office of the President.
- Perform FCC Licensing and spectrum evaluation services for a variety of governmental agencies, including Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) networks and related technologies. Recent additional work includes researching 700 MHz Public Safety / Local Government spectrum availability and applicability pertinent to client agencies.
- Provide communications site acquisition and planning services for educational television and IP-based broadband data facilities in spectrum licensed by the Sonoma County Office of Education, Santa Rosa City Schools and other Educational Broadband Service licensees.
2001 to 2005:
Project Manager, Operations Manager, Sonoma County Law Enforcement Consortium
- As Project Manager was responsible for implementation and operation of an eight-city Public Safety Law, Fire and EMS, County-wide multi-platform client-server application environment. The network implemented consisted of over 2000 desktop users in a multi-city, municipal area network and a 400-user Mobile Data Computing county-wide wireless vehicular network. Activities involved key participation with the vendor negotiations team and assistance with the creation of RFP for the core $12M master contract associated with this Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management and mobile data Automated Field Reporting system.
- PM duties included key participation in numerous Technical and Management Advisory Committees, as well as Needs Assessment and Stakeholder evaluations. This included extensive involvement in the RFP creation process and subsequent Bidder Evaluations. Subsequently I participated in multiple high-level team presentations to numerous Committees, Boards and Councils throughout the County
- Additional duties included performing in the role as the Consortium Operations Manager for this deployed system. Responsible for creating and managing a $1.3M annual budget eight city Service Level Agreement (SLA) for the provision of technical services and end-user support.
- Managed a seven person I.T. support team staff. Under my direction, team members configured and deployed internal Help Desk support for over 2000 end-user customers in eight cities, with an in-house developed SQL database application.
- Project implementation included both wireless and desktop networked access to multiple MS-Windows-based applications in an integrated suite. Wireless network users interface via mobile touch screen PC’s to access mission critical Public Safety law, fire and medical dispatch applications with remote database inquiry capability and external interfaces to secure state-wide and national Public Safety databases.
- Client-server applications share an integral Oracle database, with seven major applications in the network. System architecture includes redundant server infrastructure, fiber channel and clustered server environments with more than 20 servers and 550 desktop workstations in a mixed networking environment of gigabit fiber, T1’s and 100 Mb WAN / MAN connectivity at remote sites.
1992 to 2001:
Radio Communications Manager, County of Sonoma
- Responsible for management of all wireless communications infrastructure for the County of Sonoma. This included multi-agency server-based 911 Public Safety Dispatch Centers technical facilities and voice console network, as well as a county-wide fifteen-site DS-3 / OC-3 digital microwave Public Safety and local government voice and data communications network.
- Provided project management and design for $750,000 simulcast Law voice radio network upgrade as well as $2.5M Digital Microwave system upgrade. Performed vendor negotiations and budgetary preparation for above, including creation of Request for Proposals, contract negotiations, etc.
- Specified and then deployed County’s first touch-screen networked voice radio dispatch console environment to replace unsupportable and aging analog systems. Included in this system was the customizable ability to create user-friendly screen environments for Public Safety and local government dispatch personnel.
- Researched and implemented leading-edge deployment of new-technology high-speed, spread spectrum broadband IP-wireless wide area networks within County
- Provide multi-department infrastructure maintenance and strategic planning services for all aspects of wireless and radio networks within the County of Sonoma organization. This included maintenance and technical design assistance to Sonoma County Sheriff, Fire Services, County EMS, Sonoma County Water Agency, Transit, Public Works, Parks Department and others.
- Sonoma County Water Agency provided-services included significant Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system support and maintenance of key SCADA system components, as well as maintenance of voice radio network infrastructure.
- Managerial duties included the direction of five-person technical staff responsible for the maintenance and upgrade of 4000 user-devices of the wireless networks with an annual operational budget of approximately $1M.
1982 to 1992:
VP, Director of Engineering, Information Technology and Operations, KFTY-TV-50, Santa Rosa, California
- Department-head responsibility for operation of technical facilities and management of technical staff of 17. Budgetary responsibility of over $1M annually. Responsibilities included all aspects of physical plant, information technology, telecommunications and long-term strategic planning.
- Provided IT project management and redesign of dated mini-computer-based master control environment, including desktop applications upgrades and rollouts throughout company.
VP of Engineering and Operations, equity partner, KSTS-TV, San Jose, California
- Performed Project Management for construction of both studio, information technology and transmitter facilities of this start-up television station. Department head responsibility for hiring of substantial portion of station staff. Direct budgetary responsibility for construction and operation of $2.2M broadcasting facilities.
Staff and management Broadcast Engineering positions at CBS-KXTV, KMUV,-Sacramento and KPBS-TV San Diego
- Member, Northern California Chapter Assoc. of Public Safety Comm. Officials
- Member, Board Member, Community Service Director, West Santa Rosa Rotary Club, 1985 to present.
- Member / past member / board member Association of Public Safety Communications Officials
- Past Member, Curriculum Advisory Committee, Napa College, Napa.
- Past Member, Sonoma County Office of Education, Regional Occupation Program Advisory Committee, Superintendent’s Advisory Committee.
- Committee Chair, Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce
- Past Board Member, Founding Member Pacific Coast Air Museum
- American River College, Electronics Tech. and Proc., Sacramento, CA, 1971-72,
- Microsoft Server 2000, Windows XP, Active Directory seminars / classes
- Microsoft Project project management seminars / classes
- Various broadband wireless seminars and conferences
- Various SCADA and AMR seminars and classes including Badger Galaxy, various Motorola and other vendor systems
- Federal Communications Commission Licenses, General Class Commercial & Amateur
- Harris / Premysis Communications digital microwave and telecommunications classes and seminars
- Intergraph Public Safety (IPS) application classes and various seminars including Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management, Automated Field Reporting, Oracle systems overview, etc.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) ESRI seminars and classes
- Andy Wick, Superior Court Judge, Sonoma County Courts, 707-521-6500
- Gordon Zlot, President, KZST, KJZY-FM, Santa Rosa, 707-528-4434
- Dr. Robert Agrella, Special Trustee San Francisco City College, 415 239-3000
- Kurt Groniga, Senior Administrator, Santa Rosa Junior College District, 707-527-1000
- Ben Toyoda, Senior Network Engineer, County Of Sonoma Information Systems Dept., 707-565-2713
- Charlie Fleshman, Radio Communications Manager, County Of Sonoma, Sheriffs Department,Telecommunications Unit., 707-565-2976
- Ed Reed, WISE Consulting, 775-849-4154
- Henry Beaumont, PCD Communications, 707-546-3633
- Phil Collins, Collins Communications Consulting, 714-271-6600
- Excellent health, two adult children.
- Private pilot. Multi Engine, Instrument, Jet ratings
- Veteran, USAF, 6 years, various Air Crew duty assignments.